Polenta is wonderful and you should probably go eat some right now. It really only takes about a half hour to make and you can do so many delicious things with it. 😀
- 1 cup polenta, I like Bob’s Red Mill
- 3 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- cheese! optional but awesome.
- Bring the water to a boil and add the polenta and a couple of pinches of salt.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring every couple minutes until it’s nice and thick! This will take at least 20 minutes, and sometimes up to 30 minutes.
- Once it’s thick and tender (do a taste test!) take it off the heat and add in the butter and cheese if you’re using it. Stir these in and serve!
Keep in mind that when I say to stir every few minutes, I mean it! The water will get sucked into the polenta very quickly, so you’ll need to keep it moving. 😀
Also, I find that when the spoon I’m using to stir can stand up in the polenta with no help at all, it’s normally good to go!
You can eat it hot straight out of the pan with a little tomato sauce on top, or you can pour it into a container and let it cool. It can be cut into slices when it’s been cooled, which can then be turned into fried polenta or polenta lasagna.
Fried polenta is so delicious I can’t stand it.