minestrone soup is one of my favorite comfort foods – especially when it’s homemade! it dead simple to make at home, too. just dump everything in a pot and walk away. i really like fiddly cooking sometimes, but sometimes i just want to sit on my butt. this is a good meal option when i want to sit. (or when you’re down to the last of your groceries, which is precisely why i made it this time)
it’s also perfect in a slow cooker – i recommend putting a pot on before work or in the morning on a day off and letting it hang out and cook while you’re not worrying about it.
you can mix up the veggies a little too – i just used what i had on hand!
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
- 3-4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup dried white beans (or 1-2 cans – i actually used Rancho Gordo’s black calypso beans, because they were the closest thing to white beans that i had)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- pinch of basil
- few pinches of parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 1-2 cups cooked pasta (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- chop up the onion, carrots, and celery stalks and mince the garlic.
- add the fresh vegetables to the pot and cover with the chicken stock and tomatoes.
- add in the dried herbs, stir well.
- cook! in a pressure cooker, put it in for 35 minutes at high pressure. in a slow cooker, 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high will do it. (you just want the beans to be nice and soft, so if you’re using canned beans you’ll just want to simmer til it tastes good)
- throw in a couple handfuls each of the frozen corn, peas and spinach – stir them in and let it simmer for a minute. if you want to add pasta, do that now.
taste test and serve! i typically add more salt and pepper right before serving. i’ve also been known to add a pinch of sugar.
minestrone soup is best with a little Parmesan cheese on top and crusty bread to dip in it. it’s a really filling and healthy lunch for work the next day, too.