Microwave cake is the kind of recipe that is overdone. Like cupcakes or cake pops! The same five microwave cakes are copied and pasted all over the internet. I should know, I tried all of them and they were all not-cake. That is what I have come to be expect from microwave cake.
But this one is different, I swear. It’s like REAL CAKE. But in 5 minutes! And tiny!
I saw Matt Preston on Masterchef AU (♡♡♡) making this deliciousness late one night. But he was using passionfruit pulp instead of liquid, self rising flour instead of regular, and everything was in grams. So I messed around until I got it just right.
- 1/4 cup melted butter (50g)
- 1/4 cup white sugar (50g)
- 1/2 cup AP flour (50g)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 egg
- Melt the butter in a medium sized bowl and add the sugar. Whisk until combined.
- Add in everything else and whisk fast and furious until the batter is smooth and creamy.
- Grease two ramekins and divide the mix between them.
- Cover the ramekins with little squares of plastic wrap, leaving an unsealed spot on the side for steam to escape.
- Microwave for 50-60 seconds – this part requires a little trial and error, but 60 seconds is always safe. 😀
- Remove the plastic wrap, invert on a plate and eat!
ta-daaaaaa! Tastes like sugar cookies and victory.