If you’re ready to go all out for your Halloween party, this human torso appetizer is the way to do it! In 2012 I spent a whole day at work making this and I think it just might be awesome enough to be worth all the time I put in. 😀
Below is a list of everything that went into the torso:
- for the torso base (skin), lung & liver bowls, ribs, etc: three packages puff pastry – Pepperidge Farms was the easiest to work with
- an egg for eggwashin’ the puff pastry
- 16 oz+ white bean dip for one of the lungs (here’s my white bean dip recipe!)
- 16 oz+ hummus for one of the lungs (here’s my recipe for hummus!)
- pate for the liver
- two packages smoked salmon to make the subcutaneous muscle lining the torso
- 2 packages cream cheese for the cheeseball stomach and to keep the puff pastry bowls in place
- shredded cheese (I used cheddar!) for the cheeseball stomach
- a beet for the heart
- a teeny pickle for the gallbladder
- salami to make up the colon
I also made puff pastry intestines to go into the torso – you can find the recipe for that here!
I’ve written up a pretty comprehensive step-by-step tutorial for this, and there are loads more photos up, too.