this apple cake is the best! it’s my grandmother’s recipe. full of fresh apples, spices and a stick of butter. 😀 they only thing i really changed was prettying the cake up a bit – she’d typically make it in a loaf pan, so it looks a little more modern now.
i also changed the ingredients a little since most folks will be using butter instead of margarine.
it takes very little time to put together, looks lovely, and smells like fall. you should probably try this apple cake recipe right away. 😀
- 2 cups apples, chopped finely (plus some thin slices if you want a pretty top!)
- 1/2 apple, sliced thinly
- 1 cup white sugar
- a pinch of salt (maybe 1/2 teaspoon)
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted (1/2 cup)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional
- finely chop up two cups of apples. combine them with the cup of white sugar – set aside for at least 15 minutes to macerate.
- combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a large bowl.
- melt the butter.
- grease your cake pan, and line the bottom of the pan with parchment (i’m using a 9 inch round pan)
- take a couple spoonfuls of the melted butter and combine it with an equal amount of sugar. mix together and then smooth out over the parchment.
- lay the apples down in the bottom of the pan as shown below:
- pour the melted butter into the flour and mix well. add the eggs and mix again.
- add in the apples and their liquid and stir really well. mix until there are no dry spots left.
- pour the batter carefully over the apples in the bottom of the pan and smooth it out.
- bake at 325 F for 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- let it cool on a rack for 5-10 minutes and then flip it right side up onto a plate. peel off the parchment and impress everyone you know! 😀