and then i made a few batches of pretty terrible curly fries before i figured them out. but i need to tell you, these are THE BEST. they really do taste just like the ones at Arby’s. 😀
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1(ish) cup water
- 3-5 russet potatoes
- cut your curly fries or regular fries using whatever method you like!
- fill a bowl with the hottest water you can get out of your tap. soak the cut fries in the hot water for 15-20 minutes.
- heat up some oil to 350 F.
- combine the flour, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne in a large ziplog bag. mix well and then pour in the water and mix again.
- once the fries have soaked, pull them out by the handful and shake off the excess water.
- batter the fries and in mix you just made.
- fry for 3-5 minutes at 350 F, or until nicely browned and crispy.
- cool on racks and then eat!
i didn’t have to salt mine after they were done frying – they were fine as-is.
the only caveat i give with these is to not over-fry them. it will dry out the insides and not make them any crispier. i really do recommend pulling them out at three minutes – that was perfect for me.